Fall is in the air! OK, so it was 90-plus degrees and 50-plus percent humidity much of this week, but I am feeling fall vibes as I contemplate September plans. Fall in DC is a parade of festivals, a number of them held here on the Hill or nearby. The following are best bets for Capitol Hill kids, listed chronologically. You’ll want to put these on your calendars now!
Library of Congress National Book Festival, Aug. 31
- When: Saturday, Aug. 31, 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Where: Walter E. Washington Convention Center, 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW
- What’s in It for Kids: Story times all day long; children’s stage featuring readings by authors of children’s books; an appearance by Clifford the Big Red Dog; children’s activities hosted by the Washington Post, the New York Times, Scholastic, PBS, Pizza Hut BOOK IT! and more.
- Website: https://www.loc.gov/events/2019-national-book-festival
DC State Fair, Sept. 8
- When: Sunday, Sept. 8, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Where: Gateway DC, 2700 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave SE
- What’s in It for Kids: Kid-friendly contests (ice-cream-eating, watermelon-seed-spitting, hula-hooping, double-dutching and limbo); kids’ tent with activities such as story time; pet parade; music and entertainment.
- Website: https://dcstatefair.org/
H Street Festival, Sept. 21
- When: Saturday, Sept. 21, noon-7 p.m.
- Where: H Street NE
- What’s in it for kids: Music and dance performances. Note: If going with kids, consider going in the earlier part of the day to avoid crushing crowds.
- Website: https://www.hstreetfestival.org/
Fiesta DC, Sept. 21-22
- When: Parade is Saturday, Sept. 21, 1-5:30 p.m.; festival is Sunday, Sept. 22, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Where: Pennsylvania Ave NW
- What’s in it for kids: Parade, performers, music and dance.
- Website: https://fiestadc.org/
Barracks Row Festival, Sept. 28
- When: Saturday, Sept. 28
- Where: 8th Street SE
- What’s in it for kids: Kid’s Zone, petting zoo, musicians, magicians, aerialists, stilt-walkers, and jugglers.
- Website: https://www.barracksrow.org/fallfestival
Hill Center’s Annual Family Day, Sept. 29
- When: Sunday, Sept. 29, 2-6 p.m.
- Where: 921 Pennsylvania Ave SE
- What’s in it for kids: Performances by Turley the Magician and King Bullfrog. Coppersmiths and blacksmiths, horse-drawn wagon rides, interactive games and crafts, face-painting and balloon animals.
- Website: https://www.hillcenterdc.org/event/hill-centers-annual-family-day-concert-3/