Here are few ways your family can observe MLK Day this weekend:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, open 24 hours, every day. Park rangers are on duty 9:30 a.m.-10 p.m. to answer questions.
- 39th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Parade, Monday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., MLK Ave SE through downtown Anacostia. Parade concludes with a Health and Community Fair at the Gateway Pavilion at St. Elizabeth’s East.
- Portrait Story Days: Martin Luther King Jr., Saturday and Sunday, 1-4 p.m., National Portrait Gallery. Drop in to hear a story and create art inspired by King.
Other ideas for the weekend, mostly icy:
- WAFF Ice House, Friday, noon-6 p.m. and Saturday, noon-5 p.m., District Pier at the Wharf. Feel the chill of living in a house of ice and help raise funds for the Washington Area Fuel Fund (WAFF) to help keep neighbors warm this winter. Prizes, local celebrities, photo booth and face-painting. Free.
- Rock the Rink, Saturday, 1-4 p.m., Wharf Ice Rink. Join fellow hockey fans and skate with a DJ, Caps trivia and gear giveaways and a visit from Slapshot. Admission fee.
- “Frozen II” at the Miracle Theatre, Friday, 4:20 p.m., and Sunday, 2 p.m. Tickets, $6.
- A Saturday Morning with Rocknoceros, 11 a.m., Pie Shop DC. Tickets, $5. Read my review here.