This weekend, there are Valentine’s events galore, Family Day at the National Gallery of Art, a planting event to honor Tu B’Shvat (the Jewish birthday of the trees) and more. First, let’s do a rundown of the V-Day stuff:
- Plum Patch Valentine-Themed Art Workshop, Friday, Feb. 7, 10 a.m.-noon, Shopkeepers, 1231 Florida Ave NE. Make beautiful mobiles and valentines using several art techniques. Ages 2+. $20, pre-register or drop in.
- Postal Museum’s Valentine’s Day Card Workshop, Saturday, Feb. 8 and Sunday, Feb. 9, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. both days, National Postal Museum. Enjoy a spread of patterned papers, rubber stamps and assorted embellishments. All ages. Free, drop in.
- Love in Every Language at the National Museum of Asian Art, Saturday, Feb. 8 and Sunday, Feb. 9, noon-4 p.m. both days, Sackler Gallery. Create Valentine’s Day cards using woodblock prints that say “love” in more than a dozen Asian languages and fold heart-shaped origami. All ages. Free, drop-in
- Valentine’s Day Cards with Janai Johnson and SWAG Works, Sunday, Feb. 9, 3-5 p.m., Hill Center. Join artist Janai Johnson and Lisa Clarke of SWAG Works DC for a Valentine’s Day card creation workshop. Ages 6-10. Free, registration required.
- Capital Candy Jar Fundraiser for Miner Elementary, Sunday, noon-8 p.m., 201 15th St NE. Shop for Valentine’s treats and help raise money for the Miner PTO. Mention Miner for a 5 percent discount.
More fun this weekend:
- Family Day Celebration at the National Gallery of Art, Saturday, Feb. 8, 9-10 a.m. for children with sensory processing disorders and 11 a.m.-4 p.m., East Building. Storytelling, sketching, exploring materials and fun for all ages! Free, drop-in.
- Children’s Hour at the House of the Temple, Saturday, 10 a.m., 1733 16th Street NW. Kids’ fave Rocknoceros plays a show at an intriguing location. Free.
- Tu B’Shvat at the Home Depot, Sunday, Feb. 9, 1-2 p.m., 901 Rhode Island Ave NE. Paint clay planters and fill them with seeds and soil in honor of Tu B’Shvat, the Jewish birthday of the trees. Free, drop-in.